PRM Accelerator on Windows IIS

Jun 17, 2010 at 1:04 PM

I have a customer that wanted to host PRM and Customer Portal on IIS Windows Server. The video provided in this download section is for cloud space and hosted solution. Is there any documentation on how to setup up this new PRM and new Customer Portal on IIS Windows Server? Is there a separate video for this and when it's avaialble? Thanks.

Jun 17, 2010 at 2:03 PM

Yes, the PRM and customer portal sites can run on-premise as well as in the cloud.  The videos covered the most difficult scenario - Windows Azure and CRM Online.  The steps for a local install are similar and the architecture is identical.  The accelerators include documentation that covers how to set them up for an on-premise install.  The only thing that is missing in the documentation is an additional step to take when you are installing the portal on Windows 2003 / IIS 6.  The additional step is to configure the 404 error handler to redirect to URL /default.aspx.

Shan McArthur
www.shanmcarthur.net

Jun 17, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Yes, you're right. The only thing that's missing and I'm waiting on is some additional steps to install and configure the portal to run on Windows Server 2003/2008 IIS. If there's any documetation or video for this, it would work for both PRM and Customer Portal. Thanks.

Jun 28, 2010 at 2:23 PM

You may first create a new website in your IIS server, if the server is in the same AD Domain you won't have additional issues, otherwise you may need to have a trust relationship among servers. You can then publish directly from your VS website project to your IIS server, modify the website on IIS to configure the 404 error handler and it's done! That's what I've done on my servers and the PRM is online and public now.

Hope this helps. 

Jul 6, 2010 at 10:06 PM

After I deployed the VS website to my IIS server and I'm getting the PRM homepage, but unable to SignIn with LiveId. Can you elaborate which additional steps I need to take in order for this to work? Thank you.

Jul 6, 2010 at 11:38 PM

The documentation includes the instructions, so I would recommend you start by reading the included guides.  Live ID is not simple and there are a number of mistakes that people typically make in setting it up.  I would recommend reading the posts in the customer portal support forum.  There is a large body of knowledge in those forums and I would say that your current problem is probably already documented as a solution in those forums.

Shan McArthur
www.shanmcarthur.net